Saturday, July 25, 2009

It's in the genes

Today my mom and I went to Kimberly's house for lunch. She definitely has the Fuentes taste buds and knack for cooking delicious foods. She made us salmon, which she broiled perfectly after flavoring it with creole seasoning, pepper, and olive oil infused with grapefruit juice. It was delicious! I have never been able to make fish at home that isn't fishy, or overcooked. I love fish, but always wait for Dominick to take me out to a nice seafood restaurant. Kim has made me want to go buy salmon and try it at home. I want to duplicate her exact recipe. It was so good! Not only did we have the salmon, but she also made a quite tasty quinoa salad with halved cherry tomatoes, cilantro, pine nuts, and green onions. She tossed it with a grapefruit vinegrette that was very yummy. The quinoa is considered a "perfect" food because of its high protein content. Quinia tastes kind of like couscous but is even tastier. You make it like any grain. Make sure you rinse the quinoa before you cook it. I've made the mistake of not rinsing before cooking, and it can have a pretty bitter taste. Kimberly made the quinoa in her rice cooker and it was perfect. Great idea. I've always cooked mine on the stove. If you haven't tried quinoa before, I highly recommend it. Thanks Kimberly!

No comments:

Post a Comment